Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Buy me a burger and protest a cult

The stunt-loving zealots known as “People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals” have gotten feministe upset by using a stripper to promote their crusade. A number of her readers seem to wish there was a way of protesting the degradation of women without having to actually eat meat. At the same time, they don’t want their vegetarianism to get in the way of a protest that would dissuade PETA from subjugating women.

Ladies, there is a third way. Even if you don’t like eating meat yourselves, you can always buy a big, meaty lunch for one of your carnivorous friends whenever the PETA stunt brigade adopts a frat boy mentality. Write your protest message on your lunch date’s Big Mac wrapper, and mail it to the PETA fundraising address. And if you can’t find a meat-eating grad student, colleague, or buddy to buy this lunch for, I suppose that I could sacrifice my cardiovascular health for the good of the cause. Not that I’m trying to scam a feed or anything. I do have standards. Somewhere. They just don’t apply to food.

1 comment:

Science 2.0 said...

I think they had a chance to take at least some sort of reasonable stand with their latest trial but closing ranks around their criminals and stating that 'euthanasia is better than a stinking pound' makes me believe the animals would rather not have them on their side.