Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Stuff left to do on this paper

make tables
format tables
decide which values to normalize to*
sort out references
streamline methods section
keep optional figures.
Wait for co-author to send me his paragraph.
Get feedback from boss.
Reformat references once target journal is confirmed.

*I've used the oldest, most widespread, most comprehensive, and least correct literature values for my reference materials. I'm hemming and hawing about whether or not it is worth changing, as the composition isn't that important to this particular paper- Homogeneity is vital, but the exact number doesn't really matter as long as it is constant.

and then I can get back to blogging, housework, and/or life.

4 comments:

ScienceWoman said...

I hope your co-author has written more than a paragraph! Good luck with the rest of the hoop-jumping. I have a very similar list right now...

Kim said...

(I've never had a co-author do more than comment and correct drafts, on any paper on which I've been a first author. The co-authors worked in the field or made the lab work possible, though. And it might be easier for me to just write stuff and have them comment on it, rather than try to integrate two distinct writing styles.)

Anyway, yeah, good luck with the hoop-jumping.

C W Magee said...

My co-author did the electron probe work. He gave me the numbers 18 months ago, but I don't know how he generated them. So I asked him to write that part of the methodology.

Trouble is, he left his university technical position 6 months after I left mine, so I'm not sure he still has the information he needs to write it. A phone call might be in order...

Silver Fox said...

Ah, that's a good idea about posting things-to-do lists online, and then crossing items off -- and here I've been carrying around TTD lists in Excel on data sticks and then wondering which one is most current - the at-work computer, the home computer, or (usually) the data stick.

More seriously, good luck with the paper.