Thursday, January 28, 2010

Nature Geoscience

So it has been two years since the Nature Publishing group launched their geoscience-focused journal Nature Geoscience. What do y’all think of it? Is it a badly needed multidisciplinary journal, or a sloppy seconds repository for failed Nature papers? How does it relate to Geology (aside from profiting shareholders instead of the GSA)? And most importantly, do you have a subscription?

When I was at Geoscience Australia, we did not subscribe, so I have only browsed a few issues. However, it seems to me that a lower impact physical science-wide journal would be more useful than another 4-page general geoscience journal. On the other hand, maybe there is wide-spread dissatisfaction with the editorial board of Geology. Or maybe it is too hardrock. Thoughts?

4 comments:

Kim said...

I don't read it - I don't have access to it. But then, I prefer the hard-rock emphasis of Geology.

Anne Jefferson said...

I can't read it because I don't have access. But I like the mix of geology and climate that it offers - a mix that is a bit different than that of Geology. Commentaries and such are useful for teaching purposes. BUT not useful if no universities can afford to subscribe. Or if science being reported is sexy but sloppy. Was thinking about writing a blog post along these lines. Now you've saved me the effort.

BrianR said...

I didn't like it at first, but am warming up to it ... like Anne mentioned the broader scope is a plus. But, if it went away I probably wouldn't get too upset.

dining room table said...

I do read it. It is good. All details and statements are incredible. You should read it. There so many things that you will learn if you read it.