Monday, November 28, 2011

Billions of years of conference badges

ASI was lucky enough to be the lanyard sponsor at the recent Biennial Geochemical SIMS workshop, held in Hawaii at the beginning of this month. The meeting was fantastic. But rather than do the usual slog of simply plastering our logo on the lanyard, we decided to give it a geological timescale. The scale is one year per angstrom. Various important events are designated by the isotopic system used to define them and/or cartoons. Being very long and skinny, it is hard to display in a blog, but here’s a photo of one curled up (click to enlarge).


We have some extras, so if anyone wants me to bring some to AGU for you guys to wear, let me know and I'll pack some.

6 comments:

Jessica Ball said...

Ooh, yes. I'd like one. Very neat!

Silver Fox said...

You should bring those as giveaways to other meetings you have a booth at (then maybe I'll get one, too).

Isotopic said...

Can you publish a key? I was showing mine to someone here and couldn't figure out what some of the symbols meant.

C W Magee said...

A key to the isotopes or the cartoons?
From youngest to oldest, the cartoons are:
comet
dinosaur
dragonfly
fern
trilobyte
Ediacarian Thingo
snowball earth
natural fission reactor
snowball earth
iron
stromatolite
comet
moon.

Mika said...

...and now I'm even more sad I won't be at AGU! If I post enough pretty fieldwork photos, can I bribe you into dropping one in the mail? Because that's a very cool concept!

C W Magee said...

No booth this year, BTW. I'm just going to give my talk and hob nob.